Schools are still in the early stage of adoption of 3D innovative technology. 3D printing provides several features that can revolutionize education. Those are:
1) It provides teachers with 3 dimensional visual aids that they can use in classroom particularly in illustrating a hard to grasp concept.
2) 3D printers make it easy for teachers to seize the interest of students compared to just showing the pictorial representations of objects.
3) It enhances hands-on learning and learning by doing. Using this prototyping technology, students will be able to produce realistic mini models.
4) It provides more interactive class activities. In biology, for instance, teachers can create a 3D model of the human heart, head, skeleton etc. to teach students about the human body.
Given all these attributes, 3D printing seems to hold some promising and ground breaking innovation that will definitely assist in the fulfilment of a productive educational experience.
Main aim of the 3D for VET Schools Project is to create a comprehensive 3D modelling curriculum and training module for VET schools that will include five key design principles (alignment, strategy, learning outcomes, assessment and validation).
Target group of 3D for VET Schools Project are vocational teachers, lecturer who are from Biomedical, Electronics, Industrial Automation, Machine, Mechatronics and Decoration departments.
Final beneficiaries are:
1) Vocational education trainers (VET school teachers, vocational college lecturers, adult education centre teachers, qualified instructor from industrial organisations)
2) Students from VET schools and colleges (Biomedical, Electronics, Industrial Automation, Machine, Mechatronics and Decoration departments)
3) Individual learners who would like learn and make practice for 3D design, modelling and printing technology.
3D for VET Schools Project objectives are:
– Development 3D modelling curriculum and training module according to ECVET principles for VET schools
– Conducting several pilot trainings (involving at least 200 VET school teachers, vocational college lecturers, adult education centre teachers, qualified instructor from industrial organisations) in Turkey, Portugal, Serbia and UK based on those materials
– Effect the growth of awareness and support the mission of CEDEFOP’s to identify and anticipate future skill needs
– Production of “3D for VET Schools” manual with practical hints for the VET school teachers (from Biomedical, Electronics, Industrial Automation, Machine, Mechatronics, Decoration departments) as useful and sustainable result of the project since it can be used many times after the project end (free of charge)
– Enhancement and customisation to Turkey, Portugal, Serbia and UK of a qualification assessment mechanism (EQAVET control tool) to allow the reliable verification of declared quality of education
– Production of EU portfolio for offering 3D design, modelling and printing services to VET trainers
– Search opportunity and implement procedure for accreditation of the 3D modelling curriculum and training module
– Support the Europe 2020 priority of development of vocational skills considering labour market needs.